The whole approval process will take 5 days to two weeks.
Here are the steps:
Visit this link to download the visitor information form. http://www.bop.gov/policy/forms/BP_A0629.pdf
Print the form
The form should be filled out all the way.
For"Address / Visitors Address" enter visitor's name and address.
For"Institution" enter "Taft CI".
Enter the date.
For"Re:" enter "Oshan Cook 14619-111"
For"Dear:" it should have visitors name.
3-Include a photocopy of your ID
Mail it to:
B. Pait, A4C Counselor
PO Box 7000
Taft, CA 93268
The prison will do a background check on applicants and notify Oshan if you are approved or not. It is very important that you answer all questions truthfully. They will check your criminal record and if it differs from your application answers, you may be banned from visiting forever.
Oshan will notify you when you have been approved
Taft Correctional Camp
physical address is:
1500 Cadet Rd, Taft, CA 93268
Helpful information about the area
Oshan really lights up when he has visitors! If you're planning on visiting him, here is some helpful information about visiting the Taft area:
The Holland Inn and Suites is by far the best motel in town. Very nice rooms, very reasonable rates, and 10 minutes from the prison. Go towww.hollandinnsuites.com and they will give you a phone number for making reservations. It's best to make reservations by phone. In case it doesn't come up the number is 1-661-763-5211. Taft is actually a very friendly town.
Here are some good places to eat:
Asian Experience (great Thai food) 215 Center St. 1-661-763-1815. There's a nice dinner house called OT Cookhouse 205 N. 10th Street 1-661-763-1819. And a good Mexican restaurant, Original Hacienda Grill 1015 4th St. 1-661-763-1655.
For camping there is the Tule Elk Wildlife Preserve which is 30 miles from the prison. If you're interested in in camping there, send Stevie Cook a personal message ( https://www.facebook.com/stevie.cook.16?fref=ts&ref=br_tf ) He knows the people who run it and they will offer free camping to anyone visiting Oshan. It can actually be a fun little trip!
Friday, Saturday, Sunday and Federal holidays 8am to 3pm each of these days
It is best not to arrive between 9:30 am &10:30 am and no visitors can arrive later than 1:30pm.
In general, Fridays and Saturdays will be the best days to visit(Oshan’s preferences), although there may be times when a Sunday visit is ok.
Visiting Area and Rules
- There is an indoor visiting area and an outdoorvisiting area with picnic tables.
- Handshaking, an embrace, and a kiss within the bounds of good taste, are permitted at the beginning and at the end of the visit. The only physical contact allowed during visiting is the holding of hands.
- visitors can visit multiple times over a weekend
- 6 visitors may visit at a time, including children.
- Children under 18 must be accompanied by a responsible adult.
- Visitors may enter the visiting room at different times.
- All visitors and their property are subject to search any time while on institution
- Visitors may bring the following into visiting room: A small see-through wallet or change purse. Up to $20 in cash.
- Visitors with children may bring no more than3 diapers and 2 baby bottles into visiting room.
- Visitors can purchase soft drinks and food items to consume in visiting room but cannot take with them.
- No electronics and No loitering outside
- Unauthorized visitors cannot be on institution grounds including waiting in cars in parking lot.
Visiting Room Attire
Dress Code Wear clothing that is appropriate for a large gathering of men, women, and young children. Wearing inappropriate clothing (such as provocative or revealing clothes) may result in your being denied visitation.
The following items are NOT permitted:
• halter tops
• bathing suits
• see-through garments of any type
• crop tops
• low-cut blouses or dresses
• no scarfs
• backless tops
• hats or caps
• sleeveless garments
• Females may wear dresses, skirts, or capri pants.
• Dresses or skirts must be knee level including slits.
• No leggings.
• No white T-shirts of blouses.
• No clothing with offensive pictures or language.
• No wrap-around blouses, shirts or dresses.
• No shorts. Adult men must wear long pants.
• No black nylon jackets
• No tan, light brown, grey or khaki colored clothing.
• No black nylon jackets.
• Inappropriate clothing cannot be covered by a jacket or sweater
- Visitors must provide the following information prior to entering visiting room:
1. Inmates name and register number
(Oshan Cook 14619-111).
2. Visitors relationship with inmate.
3. Visitors current address.
**Be sure to bring a picture ID
All visitors will be required to present one valid photoi dentification (driver's license - passport) with signatures.
you will have to go through a metal detector,and you are not allowed to bring phones inside.
Because many people are usually visiting, it is important visits are quiet, orderly, and dignified. The visiting room officer can require you to leave if either you or the inmate is not acting appropriately.
** Sadly you can't bring books, gift or food to Oshan. But you cansend him mail or books and buy some snacks at the visiting room.
- Vending Machine. At the visiting room, there will be a vending machine. Visitors may purchase items from the vending machine and bring them back to area of visit. $20.00 will be permitted to enter the institution.Inmates are not allowed to share food or drinks with other inmates or family members.
Contact Aaron Stevens with Questions at firstname.lastname@example.org